I am a member of the Childcare and Family team.
I have worked almost exclusively in complex care proceedings and non-accidental injury for many years; I joined Wollens in February 2012 and continue to focus my work on the representation of parents.
I act for parents and carers within these complex proceedings which involve allegations of physical abuse such as shaken baby syndrome, fractures, bruises, factitious illness, etc. I work with clients all over the country (from Cornwall to Newcastle) and represent people in all courts including the County Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. I am a member of the Law Society’s specialist Children’s Panel which means I am accredited to represent children (often via a guardian).
Most of my work is legally aided (parents within care proceedings are automatically entitled to full legal aid).
As a result of the amount of NAI work I undertake, I have considerable experience in the area and have formed excellent working relationships both with barristers also specialising in this line of work and with medical experts who undertake reports for such cases. Subsequently, I have had much success in securing a child’s return to their parents’ care.
I run my own blog site about the work I do (non-accidental injury and the law) where you can find more information: www.parentsaccused.co.uk
I have been awarded the Family Law Associate of the Year 2014 (Family Law Awards) and Solicitor of the Year 2016 (Devon & Somerset Law Society Awards).
Reported cases include:
- Buckinghamshire County Council v Andrew & Ors  EWFC B19 (26 April 2017)
- Re D  EWCA Civ 196
- Re AB (fact finding)  EWFC B57 (8 July 2016)
- R (fact finding re-opened)  EWFC B14 (18 March 2016)
- Re L, K & J  EWFC 12
- LB Hounslow v M and F  EWFC B214 (17 December 2015)
- R (Fact Finding), Re  EWFC B95 (15 July 2015)
- Lancashire County Council v P (Injured Child)  EWFC B37
- Re F & J  EWFC B231
- Lancashire v P  EWFC B37
- Re S  EWCA Civ 1447
- Re B (A Child)  EWHC B1 (Fam)
- Re JG  EWHC 479 (Fam)
- Re X & Y (Children disclosure of judgment to police)  EWHC 278 (Fam)
- Re A (A Child)  EWHC 3502 (Fam)
- Lancashire County Council v R  EWHC 3064 (Fam)
- Re L and M (Children)  EWHC 1569 (Fam)
- Re J (children) (care proceedings: past ‘possible perpetrators’ in new family unit)  All ER (D) 232 (Feb) /  UKSC 9
- Re M  EWCA Civ 1710
- Re M (a child) (oral evidence: vulnerable witness)  All ER (D) 272 (Nov)
- Re J (Children)  EWCA Civ 38
- Re JS  EWHC 1370 (Fam)