loading icon

If you have suffered an injury because of an accident abroad, you may be able to bring a claim for compensation. Many people are left out of pocket following an accident abroad because they believe it will be too expensive or too complicated to bring a successful claim. However, bringing a claim can be straightforward, particularly with the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer. In this article, we look at some of the practicalities of bringing a claim for an accident suffered abroad.

What type of accident abroad can I bring a claim for?

It is possible to bring a claim for the same types of accidents or injuries you could bring a claim for if they happened here in the UK. However, most commonly, people bring claims for:

  • Road traffic accidents abroad
  • Accidents at ski resorts
  • Cycling accidents abroad
  • Slips, trips and falls at hotels and resorts
  • Food poisoning at all-inclusive resorts


This list is not exhaustive, and you can discuss with a specialist personal injury solicitor whether your accident is suitable for making a personal injury claim.

Where do I need to bring my claim?

Even if you have suffered an accident in another country, you may be able to bring your claim in a UK court. There are certain circumstances where this will not be possible, but your personal injury solicitor can check this for you.

Who do I bring a claim against?

Who you should bring a claim against will depend on the exact circumstances of the accident.

Accident on a package holiday

Many people are able to bring a claim against their package holiday provider if their accident took place while travelling, at the hotel, or while on an excursion booked through the operator. Making a claim against a package holiday provider is normally straightforward and you will normally not even attend court.

Accident while travelling for work or study

If you suffer an accident while travelling for work or study, you may be able to bring a claim against an employer or the party who organised for you to be in another country. If this party is a business registered in the UK, this can be straightforward. If you are employed in the UK and you are injured whilst working abroad, your claim would progress in the same way as if you were injured in an accident at work in your workplace in the UK.


The best way to understand whether you can bring a personal injury claim is to discuss your case with a solicitor. They will explain all your options to you as well as the next steps to begin making your claim. There is no obligation to continue. Many worry that making a claim will leave them out of pocket, but your solicitor should be able to work with you to come to a fee arrangement that works for you.


If you or someone you know has been affected by an accident abroad, you can contact Christopher Tagg, Wollens personal Injury specialist for a free initial consultation on 01803 213251 or via email, [email protected] .  You can also complete an online enquiry form. One of the Wollens team will contact you as soon as they are available.

Chris Tagg, Personal Injury Specialist at Wollens. 

Accident & personal Injury