loading icon

Civil partnerships

Home » Services » Family law » Civil partnerships

The Civil Partnership Act enables same sex couples to enter a civil partnership.  Upon registration of the partnership, civil partners receive rights akin to those previously only available to heterosexual married couples.  But, with marriage now available to all couples, civil partnerships are less common. 

If you are contemplating a civil partnership, then you should also consider whether you have a pre-registration agreement to protect your financial assets, in the event of a later relationship breakdown.  This will be treated in the same way as a pre-nuptial agreement . 

If you want  to dissolve a civil partnership, then you will need to apply to the court for a dissolution order. 

You will need to demonstrate that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of the civil partnership and we can advise you how this needs to be evidenced. 

Dissolution proceedings proceed in the same way as a  divorce  and, once started, either civil partner may be entitled to financial support  from the other. 

Contact Us

North, South, East or West. Wherever you are, we’ve got you covered. Contact us today for an informal chat, without obligation. We look forward to hearing from you.

South Devon:
01803 213251

01392 274006

North Devon:
01271 342268

Contact Us

Civil Partnership Enquiry

15 + 13 =