Probate & estate administration
Dealing with the loss of a relative or a close friend who appoints you as their executor can be an extremely difficult and stressful time. At Wollen Michelmore we work hard to get you through this challenging time by providing practical advice and support, tailored to meet your needs and the needs of the estate.
Whether your loved one had a will or not, our Probate Solicitors have the expertise to deal with the most complex of cases, sensitively and in a way that enables you to understand the process during a very difficult period in your life.
Our experienced probate Lawyers can guide you through the entire probate process including:
- Immediate advice and assistance about what to do when someone dies
- Registering the death
- Funeral arrangements and settling the funeral bill
- Advice about the validity or potential problems with the will and codicils
- Advising executors and personal representatives about their legal duties and responsibilities in winding up and estate
- Completing inheritance tax or income tax returns
- Applying for a grant of probate or letters of administration
- What happens if you die intestate – without making a will?
- Inheritance tax reliefs and exemptions
- Collecting in the estate including selling property and shares and closing accounts and investments
- Paying the estate’s debts and liabilities
- Dealing with assets abroad
- Preparing a financial account of the administration of the estate showing what money and assets were in the estate, what liabilities have been paid and what share of the estate each beneficiary receives
- Setting up trusts in wills
- Advising beneficiaries who want to make a deed of variation
- Contentious probate, disputes about wills or other claims against the estate
- Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) 1975 Act claims for financial provision
We are an award-winning Devon law firm with offices in Torquay, Newton Abbot, Dartmouth, Exeter and Barnstaple. We’ve been established for 150 years and, in 2017, we received the Law Society’s prestigious national Excellence in Private Client Practice award.
We offer fixed-fee packages and other pricing options to suit your needs and are happy to have an initial chat without obligation – contact us today.
Get in touch
Wollens understand your right to privacy and, as the data controller, is committed to protecting it in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations 2018.
Find out more about how we will use your data here